A Quaker presence began to be felt along the east coast of the United States in the mid 1650’s. Beginning in 1677, a meeting was held twice a year alternately at Tredhaven and West River. Beginning in 1775, the meeting began to meet just once a year. In 1785, the Yearly Meeting was held for the first time in "Baltimore Town." Soon after, the Yearly Meeting of Maryland became known as the "Yearly Meeting held at Baltimore for the Western Shore of Maryland and the adjacent parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia." The Separation of 1828 split the "Yearly Meeting held at Baltimore for the Western Shore of Maryland and the adjacent parts of Pennsylvania and Virginia" in two. The Hicksite branch retained the name, while the Orthodox branch renamed itself "The Yearly Meeting of Friends for the Western Shore of Maryland and Adjacent Areas of Pennsylvania and Virginia, in unity with the Ancient Yearly Meeting of Friends." In 1886, the Orthodox branch was incorporated as the "Baltimore Yearly Meeting of Friends, Orthodox." It was also referred to as the "Baltimore Yearly Meeting, Homewood." In 1867, the Hicksite branch was incorporated as "Baltimore Yearly Meeting held at Lombard Street." In 1889, Baltimore Yearly Meeting held its first sessions at their new meeting house on Park Avenue. Beginning in 1944, the Yearly meeting was held at Stony Run, and the Hicksite branch became known as Baltimore Yearly Meeting, Stony Run. In 1968, the Hicksite and Orthodox yearly meetings reunited to form the Baltimore Yearly Meeting for the Religious Society of Friends.